British Sign Language (BSL) – Level 1
Enables candidates to acquire a basic ability to communicate with Deaf people using Sign Language. It also aims to provide information about Deaf People, the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture. It is aimed at those who have either little or no Sign Language skills and are seeking formal qualifications for employment, or leisure.
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- conduct a basic conversation with a deaf person using British Sign Language (BSL)
- Identify and use simple, commonly used expressions, question forms and conventions associated with BSL.
- Request and provide information appropriate to the context.
- Articulate the language clearly enough so that a sympathetic user of British Sign Language (BSL) would understand the candidate questions and contributions.
- The aims of this course are to ensure basic fluency in the following areas:
- BSL1: Receptive BSL skills
- BSL 2: Productive BSL skills
- BSL3 : Conversational BSL skills
- It is aimed at those who have either little or no sign language skills and are seeking formal qualifications for employment or leisure.
- Course is run over a 20 week period with one evening session per week.
What some past students said:
What a wonderful experience – the tutor was extremely helpful and understanding
Would recommend this course to everyone